Set in the beautiful and historic fishing village of Polperro, on Cornwall's south coast between Looe and Fowey, the Ebenezer Gallery is unique in its origins and in its display of artwork.
NEWS & EVENTS
The gallery is situated on the right hand side of the main road half way between the car park and the harbour.
The building was originally built as a Chapel in 1877. When the chapel closed in 1930s it became a builders’ store and workshop.
In 1972 the founding members of the East Cornwall Society of Artists, with great foresight, managed to buy it through donations and personal loans, and converted it into a gallery to display members' work. Improvements have continued right up to the present day.
Claude Kitto at his easel in 1980s. Claude Kitto was a well known local artist and tutored workshops for members.
The society now has nearly 100 members and many exhibit their work in the long Summer exhibition. Paintings in all media, acrylics, oil, pastels and watercolours are displayed alongside ceramics, woodturning, and sculpture on two floors of the spacious gallery. ECSA members are always on duty when the gallery is open and will be please to give you details of the artists whose work is displayed.
Art society members give their time freely to set up annual exhibitions, update displays and run the gallery.
The East Cornwall Society of Artists, had their origins in the 1940s. In 1945 a group of like-minded artists met regularly for painting sessions in Liskeard. By 1946 this had grown into a more formal organisation when they met at the Guildhall and called themselves the Liskeard Art Club. Its popularity grew over the next ten years with weekly painting sessions led by experienced tutors with exhibitions held in Liskeard, Looe and Polperro.
By 1955 the club had changed its name to the East Cornwall Society of Artists and held regular meetings and exhibitions in the Church Hall in West Looe and the Public Hall in East Looe. Honorary President, and long standing member Jill Thomas wrote a history of Ebenezer Gallery in 2016 to commemorate 70 years of the society. Copy of this booklet are still available in the gallery.
Sir Donald Stokes, Chairman of British Leyland seen here opening the Exhibition in 1968.
A more recent workshop. Members still meet for Workshops and ‘plein air’ Painting Days when permitted under Covid19 rules.